His Glorious Presence

The sun had barely risen in the wilderness, and in the tent could be seen the silhouette of a man kneeling, praying to the God of heaven. A cloud, glorious in appearance, stood over the place where the man knelt silent and speechless. He could not take his eyes off the cloud, for in it -he knew- was the very God he was praying to. This was an amazing thought to him. 

As he knelt there, the turmoil within his heart grew. One question was on his heart, and he wasn't sure exactly how to ask the One who stood before him in so much splendor. 


"Lord," he began, aware of the fact that the Almighty One was listening to every word he said, "You have been telling me, 'Take these people up to the Promised Land..." He hesitated a moment as he gathered his thoughts. "But... You haven't told me whom You will send with me. You have told me, 'I know you by name, and look favorably on you.' If it is true... then let me know Your ways so I may understand You more fully and continue to enjoy Your favor." 

He looked expectantly towards the cloud as the Lord replied, "I will personally go with you, Moses, and I will give you rest- everything will be fine for you." 

Everything? He thought about what the Lord had said. But the turmoil within him grew. "If You don't personally go with us, don't make us leave this place." A sob rose within him as he said this. His desperation heightened as he continued, "How will anyone know that You look favorably on me -on me and on Your people- if You don't go with us? For Your presence among us sets Your people and me apart from all other people in the earth."

The Lord answered in a gentle voice, "I will indeed do what you have asked, for I look favorably on you, and I know you by name." 

But Moses needed a little more assurance. He was silent for a moment as He thought about the Lord's answer, then took a deep breath and said, "Then show me Your glorious presence." 

The Lord was pleased to answer that request, saying, "I will make all My goodness to pass before you... Look, stand near me on this rock. As my glory passes by, I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and let you see Me from behind, but my face will not be seen."                                                                                                       (Based on Exodus 33:12-23)

God wants to reveal Himself to us. We may think to ourselves, God is probably tired of hearing me pray for Him to reveal Himself to me! No, God is not tired... Moses asked God to go with him twice, then boldly prayed, as if not content with the first two answers, for God to reveal His glory to Moses! Be bold, dear Christian! God delights in the fervent prayers of His children.

Yes, God has promised that He will never leave us nor forsake us, but we must seek out His presence! Often He delays in answering that prayer, but it is not that He doesn't want to answer us, it is that He wants us to see how desperate we are for His presence. When we see that is often when He answers our prayer. Don't give up before you have entered into His presence and seen His glory through the eyes of faith.

...His glorious presence; there is no better place within which we could possibly dwell, and no better thing we could possibly seek, for to know Him is to know the One who made you, and to be with Him is to bask in peace and joy that won't be found anywhere else.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Sandie I like your blog!!!!! :) -Hollie Jalbert
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Camille Jalbert said…
Wow Sandie. This is nice. This is a good venue for discipleship. :)

Popular posts from this blog

When my emotions are out of control...

He gives MORE grace

Every Girl's Battle