The Fight for Silence

"My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation. He is my defense; I shall not be moved." (Psalm 62:5-6)

It is in stillness and quiet that we really see God. It is when our eyes are set only on seeing Him that other sights are able to dim before His glorious presence. 

Silence. I feel like it's a lost art. 

Most of the time, my own soul is full of noise. Worries and cares. Distraction. People I care about. Circumstances I often seek to control. Goals I aim for. Things I'm doing that I'm deeply engrossed in.

I start the day all too often with what seems like thousands of thoughts swirling in my mind. 

Our moments of "quiet" often amplify the noise in our soul. Ever noticed that? 

Maybe it's because we are actually settling down to listen, and that's the first thing we hear. 

How do we wait in silence for God? 

Perhaps it has more to do with expectation than we realize. Maybe there is a link between expectation and silence.

Where is my expectation? 

If I expect my circumstances to go a certain way, my soul cannot rest. It must work hard against all that opposes my goals. 

If I expect people to act how I wish, my soul will constantly be feeling discontented and critical towards the people around me, because people aren't perfect. 

If I expect my emotions to settle down simply because I want them to, I will be sorely disappointed. 

But if I expect God to be God and to carry out His promises, I can rest. He will not fail me.

But even then, worries and cares may speak. 

"You are unstable until He does what He has said. Your circumstances prove He isn't keeping His word. Maybe you should take control," they say.

But Who is all my silent waiting supposed to be for anyways? It is not for the circumstances, nor is it for people, nor is it for my emotions to settle down. It is "for God alone." 

"Hush," I can respond to worry and care, "He ONLY is my rock and my salvation. He alone is my stability. Wind and waves can beat against me, but He WILL defend me against their tyranny. I will NOT be moved."

Stillness and silence are not an outward circumstance. They are the circumstance of the soul whose only expectation is God. 

The soul must choose to stand firm on God who is her only rock, and she must fight to stay there, even when outward circumstances seek to draw her elsewhere for stability.

We will only be as sure of our stability as we are of the God on whom we depend.

"I shall not be moved" can be our response to every threat against the silence of the soul if it is backed by the conviction that "He is MY defense."

Do you want a silent soul? You must make Him your only aim and expectation.

Do you want the noise to quiet down? You must listen as He speaks to your soul, "Peace, be still." 

Do you want your heart to be stable? You must make Him your only source of stability, for a double-minded man is unstable in all of his ways. (James 1:8)

Do you want to be utterly confident? You must reject the voices and thoughts that undermine your trust in the God who loves you and will never fail you, and you must look steadfastly at Him, for He has promised to rescue your feet out of the net. (Psalm 25:15)

Do you want peace to rule in your heart and mind? You must bring your cares to Him and then wait quietly and expectantly for the Prince of Peace to make Himself at home in your soul, to convince your heart of His love for you, and to fill you with all of His fullness. (Ephesians 3:14-21)

It is in the soul that rejects opposing voices where He is welcomed to speak and be heard.

It is the heart that is quiet that finally will recognize His defense against the storms. 

As the still waters reflect the heavens, so the still, quiet soul most adequately reflects God. 

I love what Richard Wurmbrand said: "On the tree of silence hangs the fruit of peace." 

When was the last time we were quiet enough to experience God? Could it be that we doubt God even wants to come close enough to us for us to feel Him? 

It is when we are quiet that peace is able to flood into the soul. It is when we have taken our hands off of everything we hope for and aim for that is not God and grab ahold of Him alone that everything takes their rightful place in spiritual life. 

We can expect God to draw near to the soul that is drawing near to Him in silent expectation.

Oh, my soul, wait expectantly for God. Quiet down and look up. He is your defense against all that opposes you. 

You don't need to fight alone, for He is standing in front of you to defend you, behind you to protect you, and beside you to guide you in this battle for silence. 

You need not figure it out on your own. You only need to listen, for He is your Commander and is quite capable of helping you to know what to do. 

Look up, my soul. You have help. His name is Jesus. And He Himself is the Prince of all the peace you seek. 

So, breathe... You are not expected to win without the great Conqueror vanquishing the foe. He is more than capable, and He has given you Himself. Through Him you will do valiantly, my soul.

He is your rock. He is your salvation. He is your defense. You will not be moved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When my emotions are out of control...

He gives MORE grace

Every Girl's Battle