God's mysterious plan, which is...

"...I want them to have complete confidence that they understand God's mysterious plan, which is...." (Colossians 2:2)

How would you finish that sentence? 

I think some might launch into a long theological answer.

Others might simply say, "to get glory for Himself." 

Some might recite some creed they memorized a long time ago.

Still more might be stumped and say nothing.

Another might talk about the big dreams they believe God has for them.

I'm not saying none of these are good or needed....

But what if God's mysterious plan was something incredibly simple? 

What if He wants us to get our focus off of doctrine and theology alone and onto something far deeper, that touches the heart? 

What if He wants us to stop pursuing some incredibly high calling, or spiritual greatness and turn our attention elsewhere? 

What if He means for us to be completely awestruck with His mysterious plan because it's incredibly simple, yet profound? 

Alright, alright... what is it then? 

Let's look at the verse again.... 

"...I want them to have complete confidence that they understand God's mysterious plan, which is" -wait for it- "Christ Himself." 

Wait- that's it? 

Well, yes, it is.

His mysterious plan is wrapped up in a Person. 

His mysterious plan is wrapped up in Jesus.

...

Colossians is full of verses that talk about Jesus this way.

Everything we have as sons and daughters of God is found in Christ. 

Here is a small sampling from chapter two that I was looking at this morning:

-All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Christ, so if I want wisdom and knowledge, I need Christ. (3)

-I am to let my roots grow down into Christ, so if I want life, I find it in Him. (7a)

-I am to let my life be built on Him, so if my life's structure is to be strong, it's because He is the strong foundation it's built on. (7b)

-All the fullness of God dwells in Christ, so if I want the fullness of God, I need Jesus. (9)

-I am complete through my union with Christ, so if I want experience being complete, I need to pursue oneness with Him. (10)

-Christ is the One who cut away my sinful nature at salvation, so if I want freedom from sin, I need Jesus to finish the work He started. (11)

-I was buried with Christ and raised to new life with Christ, so if I want to experience new life, I need to stay with Christ. (12)

-I am alive with Christ, which means I will feel fully alive when I am experiencing Him to the fullest. (13)

-He is the One who forgave all my sins, so if I want to have freedom from condemnation, I can hide in Him who is my Righteousness. (13)

-He is the one who canceled the record of the charges against me, so if I am hearing the voice of accusation, I can just point at Jesus and say He took care of it. (14)

-He is the One who has victory over the principalities and powers of darkness, so if I'm being assaulted by them, I just need to hide behind my Savior, and He will deal with them. (15)

-Christ Himself is the reality that the law in the Old Testament was pointing to, so when I read the Old Testament, I can see shadows of Christ and get to know Him even better through it. (17)

-Christ is the One who holds the whole body together, so if I am to experience unity with my brothers and sisters in Christ, I need to look for and call out Christ in them, treating them as I want to treat Christ. (19)

-He has set me free from the spiritual powers of this world, so I don't need to depend on rules to conquer my evil desires, because I can depend on the One who has already conquered them at the cross and is now alive in me. (20-23)

...

"But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." (2 Cor. 11:3)

NLT puts it this way: "...I fear that somehow your pure and undivided devotion to Christ will be corrupted..."

This is all Jesus is wanting of us, my friends... 

Pure and undivided devotion to Him, as our Friend, our Savior, our life, our everything.... 

He doesn't need us to know a lot and be extremely wise, though knowledge and wisdom will come with knowing Him.

He doesn't need us to pursue great callings or figure out how to do great things for Him, though life and fruit will spill out of a person that is full of Him. 

He doesn't need us to make sure our doctrine and theology is perfect before coming to Him, though our doctrine and theology will become more solid as we get deeper into an experiential knowing of Him.

He only wants one thing from you, dear child of God... 

He wants you.

I recently heard it put something like this: He is present with us, so let us give Him our presence.

He gave us all of Himself, so give Him all of yourself.

Seek for Him in His word... 

Ask Him who He is....

Ponder what He could be trying to show you about Himself as you read and study...

Look for Him in all your circumstances....

Include Him in the mundane and in the exciting...

Learn His voice as you let His word sink deeply into your heart...

Spend time talking with Him in prayer and listening for His answers...

Grow in relationship with Him.

His mysterious plan is so simple: It's Christ and Christ alone... 

So, if you ever find your mind thinking complicated thoughts, or if you're ever confused, stop and just look at Him. 

He is always beckoning for you to come closer, deeper into His heart. 

He is always reaching for you and seeking to lead you into a sweeter, more intimate relationship with Him.  

He is always closer to you than the very air you breathe.

And what He wants is you. 

You are wanted and loved by Him... 

You are the bride He paid for with His own blood....

You are the delight of your Savior, for He has gone to all extents to receive you as His own.

So, just breathe, and enjoy the simplicity of relationship with Him. That is what He rescued you for, that is what He is after. 

Let Him win your pure and undivided devotion afresh... 

He knows how to get to your heart, and He will not fail you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When my emotions are out of control...

He gives MORE grace

Every Girl's Battle