Where I want to do this, His will is greater...

This morning, I was praying through parts of Colossians 1, where in verse 9 it says, "...that ye might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and understanding." 

The NLT put it this way: "...We ask God to give you complete knowledge of His will...."

My response to that verse was, "Lord, how can I have complete knowledge of Your will? How can I really know what it is? It seems impossible!"
But then the realization hit: God has a will in every single circumstance in our lives! Not just the big decisions that require planning. Yes, the little ones He cares about too. In every circumstance, it is my natural desires, vs. God's will. 

Here's what I mean: 

Where I want to only do what is fun, He wants me to find joy in the hard circumstances.

Where I want to spend my money on me and buy more things, He wants me to be content with such things as I have.

Where I want to just be quiet and let everyone around me do their thing, God wants to use me to shake life up a bit, to tell the gospel to the lost, to present stunning truths to the saved.

Where I just want to be comfortable in my comfort zone, God wants me to step out and do the unthinkably exciting things!

Where I want to be popular, God wants me to do hard things and to be different.

Where I want to react in anger, He wants me to respond in love.

Where I want to be lazy, God wants me to serve others.

Where I want to feed my flesh, God wants me to feed my spirit. 

Where I want life to be easy, God wants me to soar even in the hardest circumstances.

Where I want to prove that I am somebody, God wants to prove through me that Christ is the Savior of the world!

Where I want to have people's good opinion, God wants me to be content with who He has made me to be, even when the world is hostile toward me because of it. 

Where I want to love only those who love me, God wants me to love those who don't deserve it.

...Listen, people! God wants us to know what He wants us to do in every circumstance, how He wants us to respond, so we can be ready to do what is right! 

I'm not saying that God will be mad at us when we make a mistake. It's not that at all. In fact, His word is filled with His love toward those who sin, His compassion towards those who fall, His grace towards those who stumble, His understanding towards the weak....

But His word is also filled with blessings for those who do what is right.

Let's take one more look at Colossians 1 "...We ask God to give you complete knowledge of His will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while you will grow as you learn to know God better and better." (vs. 9-10)

The rewards for doing God's will far outweigh the cost! Don't ever think that His will is not worth the trouble! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When my emotions are out of control...

He gives MORE grace

Living out of His pleasure