A Difficult Death to Die

Today, I want to talk about death... 
Many of you read that, and whoever was sitting nearest you heard a sharp intake of breath. 

No, I am not talking about physical death. 

I'm talking about a different kind of death. I alluded to it in my last post, but I must talk more specifically about it, since I myself have been meditating on it more in depth, and praying about it, and seeking to apply it to my own life over the past week. 

Let me bring up the passage again 
Jesus said this: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone; but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; but he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him shall my Father honour." (John 12:24-26)
Whenever I first read this, I found the idea burdensome...  Do you? Dying means that you must disregard all personal interests and enjoyments, you must deny yourself. Each day, as I sought to study it out, I found more and more that Jesus wants us to not just be his disciple, but forsake all others in the process.

Forsaking all others...
"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (Mt. 10:37-38)
"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." (Mt. 16:24)
Jesus said this over and over. He wasn't naming it as merely an option, but something that is mandatory for anyone who belongs to Him. Sometimes, He would say it to test the intensity of a man or woman's desire to be his disciple. Other times, he said it to emphasize that fact that it was no small thing to be His follower.

Jesus is our example...
He said, "But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister: And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many." (Mt. 20:26-28)
When telling a parable, he said, "Blessed are those servants, whom the Lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them." (Lk. 12:37)
Do you think stepping down from His throne and becoming a man was easy? What about the fact that He knew He would die? Was it easy for Him to do menial service like a slave, rather than receive service from a king as he deserved?

And yet this whole idea of dying to ourselves, of giving up our own desires to serve One who deserves to have our whole heart and undivided loyalty makes us cringe!

God has not changed!
Why do we not trust Him? Perhaps we doubt He is the same as He was in the bible, capable of doing mighty, amazing, awe-striking works in the lives of humankind? Perhaps we think his promises are a thing of the past, that they don't apply to us today?
"God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?" (Num. 23:9)
Since He doesn't change, then why do we doubt he can handle -or wants to handle- our lives? He wants to do great things through you!

God never intended for this kind of death to be burdensome...
This morning I realized that I felt weighed down. I knew God wanted me to die to myself, and I have sensed Him helping me to come to that place where total surrender is not something I do out of necessity, but because I want to.

But as I prayed, He reminded me of something else Jesus said...
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Mt. 11:28-30)
God doesn't intend for us to be burdened down to the point of being unable to walk. He doesn't want us to feel like slaves that are being forced to obey. He never intended for us to be pressured into making decisions that we think might glorify him, while all the while, we wish we were doing something different.

Can I tell you something? He wants your heart! He is gentle, and any burden you carry at this moment, whether it is large or small, any thing you find is pulling your heart away from him -whether you enjoy it or not- He wants to carry it for you and prove to you that He is better.

Ah, what a relief to be reminded of this! He is no taskmaster, but a gentle Shepherd that desires to clear the noise so you and I can hear His voice and follow Him.

Are you at rest in your soul? Perhaps you haven't died to yourself and given Him your burdens. Are you void of joy? Perhaps your heart isn't in His hands. Have you given Him all? Have you died to yourself and given Him a chance to show you what real, abundant life is?

Once you and I surrender our own hearts to Him and let Him carry our burdens so we can learn of Jesus without any reserves, He will give rest unto our souls. It's a promise. Don't miss out on this!

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you! So much wisdom in your words.

Popular posts from this blog

When my emotions are out of control...

He gives MORE grace

Living out of His pleasure