When My Mindset is Up

This year I started using a Bible in the year plan. It's been interesting to me which books they give you to read first. Part of the first several days was the book of Philippians... As I was reading in chapter 1, several phrases challenged me.

I'd like to pass this challenge on to you.
"For me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don't know which is better. I'm torn between two desires; I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live." -Philippians 1:21-24
I pulled out my notebook and started to spill the thoughts that were coming to mind, which I will write below. (In italics.)

Do I have such a heavenly mindset? 




Can I say, "My reward, my joy, my greatest repayment will be to be at the side of my Savior."?

-Dying is gain, not loss.

-If I think for a moment that dying is loss, could it be there there is some temporal thing I'm hanging onto? 

-My reason to live is to be Christ to others, then, because in both living and in death can I know Christ. The difference is in living He can be made known through me.

-Do I consistently live in such a way that, were I to die, it would be a great loss to others? In other words, can I say its better for others that I'm alive? (It's not prideful to say that if your confidence is in Christ's work through you.)

...And so in writing these things I brought up two sides to the same coin, that being two sides to dying:

1. I have more of a temporal mindset when my life is more valuable to me than seeing Christ face to face.

BUT

2. One thing that makes seeing Christ so exciting is the fact that right now I'm doing something to get ready for that day. The whole reason I didn't die the day I got saved was that Christ now wants to use me to make Himself known to others!

If you're the "giving up" type...
...That last point I wrote in my notebook is a little tricky for those who are the "giving up" types. If you're that type, you read it and said to yourself, "Well, that's certainly not me. I'm not of any use to anyone." And then you sat back in your chair feeling down, wondering why you were ever born.

I'll tell you why you were born! God made you for Himself. He wants you first of all to know Him. If you are the giving up type, you don't understand that God has never and will never give up on you until the day you die. He will be pursuing you until you step through death's door, offering you hope every moment, because He is the God of all hope!
"Surely Your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life..."           -Psalm 23: 6
He wants to use you and be Himself through you. He wants to live out what living for Christ means in your very life. He's given you purpose, and that purpose is found in the life of Christ. Live (remain) in His presence, believing what He says, trusting who He is, presenting yourself to Him, and He will do the living through you.
"For apart from Me, you can do nothing." -(Jesus) John 15:5
 Let's live in a heavenly mindset!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When my emotions are out of control...

He gives MORE grace

Living out of His pleasure